Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tonight I Can Write...

         “Tonight I Can Write…” a poem by Pablo Neruda is a heavy poem that struck me deeply when I read it.  This poem should strike anyone who reads it because everyone who reads it can relate to the subject matter.  When I first read this poem, it instantly took me back to the times when I had just gone through a tough time and was finally able to get over it and move on with my life.  This poem can even be viewed in different ways.  The basic way to interpret what the speaker is referring to is that the speaker is referring to a former lover.  Another way to interpret it is that the speaker is referring to a loved one who passed.  Even though this reference does not fit perfectly it still brought back memories for me of a passed loved one.  The imagery in this poem exudes emotion and makes the reader feel as if they are in the memory, as if watching a movie.  I feel that this is a great poem because it draws emotion out of everyone who reads it and that is a rare quality.  I can only image the emotional state Neruda was in when he wrote it, but it lead to a great work that lives on beyond his years.

No comments:

Post a Comment